Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Highwire - Epilogue

"I don't remember exactly what I dreamt about that night, Jack, but I remember waking up the next morning, I think you were still asleep, and thinking that we'd passed some sort of test in our relationship.... Maybe milestone is better, but even that doesn't explain it very well. I had introduced boyfriends to my mother and Mac before, but never the whole family. And I'd never brought anyone home with me for a holiday family gathering. At the time, it just seemed the natural thing to do, it never crossed my mind what a serious step that was."

Claire eased herself away from Jack, then adjusted herself so that she sat with her back against the headboard. Jack rolled over and laid his head in her lap and draped an arm across her knees.

She was toying with his hair when he began to softly speak. "I think I knew that day that we'd end up here. Or at least that the idea of marriage to you no longer seemed so odious to me."

She tugged lightly on his hair, "Odious... why I nev..."

Jack sat up quickly and startled Claire by tugging her leg so that she was laying beneath him, effectively cutting off her speech.

"Hey!... What're you doing..."

"I'm not about to let you scold me for saying that you changed my mind about marriage, Kincaid."

"What would you let me scold you for? Making an ass out of yourself in public? Gawking at another woman in front of me? Forgetting my birthday or our anniversary? Not taking the garbage out? Leaving the toilet seat up?"

"Oh, Christ...I'm in trouble. The transformation is happening...maybe I ought to call it off..."

"Don't you dare! And what transformation?"

"My loving, passionate fiancée is turning into a nagging wife before my very eyes," he had her pinned down and she was struggling to free herself.

"Just you wait, my love," she said defiantly, "I haven't even begun to nag."

"Well, that's it, then, isn't it?"

"What?"

"I'm just going to have to keep your mouth occupied," he told her.

She was about to make a snappy retort when he lowered his mouth to hers. He released her wrists and she wrapped her arms about his shoulders. They rolled to their sides facing each other and Claire brought her hand up to touch her fingers to his lips.

"I love you," she told him.

"You're my heart, Claire, my soul, and tomorrow in front of our friends and family, I'm going to give my life to you."

"Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd fall in love with you that day I first walked into your office. Thank God my little speech didn't dissuade you.."

"I didn't want to love you, Claire, didn't want to love anyone, but you bowled me over without even wanting to. If that's what you call fate...."

"I wonder sometimes..."

"Wonder what?"

"No...it's nothing. Nevermind."

"Cough it up," he ordered, "Or I just might be forced to tickle it out of you."

"Okay!! I wonder sometimes where we'd be if it hadn't been for the Gordon case. If it hadn't been for that case, you never would have kissed me in the elevator that night, and I never would have known how you felt about me. I wouldn't have admitted to myself that I had feelings for you," she said.

"Oh, I don't know, Claire. I think we would have found each other. You can only deny your feelings for so long."

"You're probably right, but I've always thought that when he came after me, and you, my heroic Executive Assistant District Attorney, saved me... well, that was a pivotal moment in our relationship. It sounds kinda sick, but despite how traumatic that experience was for me, I really think it brought us closer than people generally are that early in a relationship. Looking back, you could say we were rushing things, but at the time, I felt, and didn't you feel, that there wasn't any choice?"

Jack nodded his agreement.

"Having you there with me, to see me through all of that, Jack...it meant so much to me at the time. It means even more to me, now. We've had our tough times, but we've seen each other through them, and our love is stronger because of it. I love you with all my heart, Jack. And I always will."

"I can't tell you how happy I was to put that bastard in jail, Claire. When Chet found that statute, and I got the all the charges Pongracic had dropped added on to the indictment again, it meant so much to me to be able to vindicate you in that way. I'd never been so happy to win a case."

"There were a lot of women who were very grateful to you when that verdict came down, Jack."

"I know how you feel about the death penalty, babe, but I wished so much at the time that it hadn't still been illegal."

"Even for an animal like Gordon I don't agree worth state-sanctioned killing, Jack."

"I know, Claire, I know," he said, passing his thumb lightly over her cheek, "Hey... this isn't the sort of thing we should be talking about right now..."

"And what sort of thing should we be talking about right now?" she asked coyly, relieved to change the subject.

"Oh...I don't know. Our wedding night, maybe. The honeymoon..."

From the living room down stairs, they heard the grandfather clock bonging 1 am.

Claire looked over at the alarm clock next to the bed. "Oh, Jesus, Jack. It's one in the morning! You should go... We should get some sleep, because I'll tell you right now, I don't plan on letting you get much sleep tomorrow night."

"You don't?"

"Hell, no. It's my wedding night. I only plan on having one of 'em, and I plan on making it memorable."

They got up, and Claire slipped into the robe she had brought from home. Jack began to dress. When he was dressed, Claire quietly opened the door and peered out. No sign of life from her parent's room, and nothing from the room Violet occupied. In the same manner she had snuck him in, Claire snuck Jack back out again. At the front door they paused, and Jack pulled her into his arms.

"Next time we see each other," said Claire, "I'll be walking down the aisle."

"I'll be there," he told her. "I'll be the one in the monkey suit, front and center."

"I can't wait."

They kissed, professed their love once more, and Jack departed.

Claire went back upstairs and climbed back into the bed, which still smelled of Jack. She pulled the covers up over herself and curled into the fetal position, hugging her knees to her chest. She feel asleep quickly, a smile on her face.

*****

Claire's alarm went off at 7 in the morning. She stretched languidly, and glanced toward the window. Light was seeping into the room through the slats of the Venetian blinds. How do you describe how a woman, more in love than she ever imagined possible, feels upon waking up on her wedding day? Thrilled... a little bit nervous, but not the least bit unsure... expectant... relieved ... with an element of bliss wrapped all around the rest of the feelings.

She snuggled down into the bed for a minute, and wondered if she were imagining Jack's scent still lingering there, or if in fact she were really smelling it. No matter. After this morning, she would be waking up with Jack next to her for the rest of their lives.

"Honey are you up?" her mother called, knocking on the door and breaking Claire out of her reverie.

"I'm just getting up, Mother."

"I made coffee. Go on down and have some. I'm going to shower and then I'll make breakfast."

"Alright," she called through the door. "Thanks, Mom."

Claire got up and slipped her flannel pajamas on, a pair of socks, and went downstairs.

"'Morning, Mac," she chirped as she walked into the kitchen.

"Hey, kiddo," he said, eyeing her over the top of his newspaper as she poured her coffee, "get enough sleep last night?"

She nodded and sat at the table.

"What time did Jack leave?"

She coughed. "What?"

Mac set the newspaper down. "You two were a little... shall we say....enthusiastic, last night."

Claire felt her cheeks grow hot with her blush. "Sorry about that," she muttered.

"Don't be."

"Did... did ... Mom hear?"

Mac laughed. "Lucky for you, you overloaded your mother on margaritas last night. I'm starting to suspect it was a plot. My mother, on the other hand..."

"Oh, no... what did Gram say?"

"I think it was something like 'Sounds like Claire's a lucky girl'."

Claire laughed.

Jeannine and Violet came into the kitchen just then. Violet winked at Claire, who smiled back at her.

"Claire, honey, why don't you go shower while I fix breakfast? The hair dresser is going to be here in 45 minutes."

Claire stood and hugged her mother. Without her, there would have been no way that she and Jack, on their tight schedules, could have gotten a wedding together in the 2 1/2 months since Jack proposed.

"September is always such a good month for a wedding," said Violet.

"Thank you, Mom," whispered Claire before heading back upstairs.

*****

Claire's maid of honour, Emily, her best friend and law school roommate, who had also been her roommate when she'd moved back to New York from Boston, arrived at the house while Claire's hair was being done.

"You're glowing, Claire," she said upon entering Claire's old room.

"I feel a bit luminescent, thanks, Em."

When Claire's hair was done, it was in a French twist with sprigs of baby's breath woven in. She had decided to forego a veil, not wanting anything blocking her view of Jack's face, or his of hers, as they pledged their lives to one another.

Mac drove Claire, Emily and his wife and mother to the church. He already wore his tuxedo, the required attire for the man giving the bride away. Violet and Jeannine had dressed, as well, Jeannine in a dress two shades of periwinkle darker than the colour Claire had chosen for Emily's dress. Claire and Emily would change at the church.

Claire and Jack had decided on a Unitarian wedding. Jack, having been divorced from his first wife could not marry in the Catholic church again, because the marriage had not been annulled. Claire, an agnostic by choice, had been brought up in the Catholic church as Jack had, and for some reason, despite her religious doubts, had always imagined a church wedding.

Jack's sister Becky was at the church waiting for them. Truth be told, at first, she had been wary of Jack and Claire's relationship, the age difference between the two of them being her main objection. But she had gotten to know Claire, and she had realised that for the first time in his life, Jack was truly happy, and they had Claire to thank for that. She had agreed that after seeing that her brother had been fed and was getting ready, she would come and help Claire get ready.

"Becky, thank you so much for being here!" Claire exclaimed upon entering the bridal dressing room.

"My pleasure, Claire. Anything for the woman responsible for that light I see in my brother's eyes. He deserves to be happy, Claire, and so do you."

They hugged, and Claire thanked her.

"Come on, girl!" exclaimed Becky. "Let's get you dressed!"

With the help of Violet, her mother, Becky and Emily, Claire was dressed in no time. When Claire was dressed, they took Emily next door to dress her, Claire having asked for a few moments alone.

Becky remained behind for a moment.

"Claire... I'll go in a minute, but I wanted to give you something, first."

"Oh, you didn't have to..."

"I know you were planning on wearing the necklace my brother gave you for your birthday when you were first together, but I wanted to give you this to wear," she pulled a black velvet box from her purse. She opened the box revealing a pearl necklace. "My great-grandparents gave this to my grandmother on her wedding day. My mother wore it. I wore it when I married Jim. I'd like for you to wear it."

Claire stood and wrapped her hands around her soon-to-be sister-in-law. "Thank you, Becky,"

"You're welcome, Claire. Take care of my brother, he loves you very much."

"You have my word."

Becky left, and Claire sat down in front of the big vanity mirror. She clasped the necklace around her neck. She looked at herself in the mirror, staring at herself intently. "Em was right," she told herself, "I am glowing."

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in!" she called.

Lennie Briscoe's girlfriend, Laura Russell stepped through the door.

"Hi Laura!"

"Hey, hon! You look fabulous! You're going to knock Jack out of his patent-leather shoes!"

"Thank you! You're next, you know. I plan on aiming my bouquet right at you."

"Great! Just make sure Jack aims the garter at Lennie, or he might not get the hint."

"I'll be sure to tell him," Claire laughed.

"I just came by to let you now that I had nothing at all to do with Lennie's wedding gift to you," said Laura.

"Oh, God... what did he get us?"

"Oh, you'll know soon enough. Just don't try taking it with you on the honeymoon or you might have some trouble getting through customs."

"Thanks for the warning."

Laura left, and passed Claire's mother in the doorway.

"Hi, sweetheart."

"Hi Mom."

"Have you gotten your few moments alone yet?"

"Nope... it's been Grand Central in here."

"I'll go in just a minute, but I wanted to see my baby girl one more time before she becomes someone's wife."

"Don't make me cry, Mom," pleaded Claire. "My emotions are already high, and I don't want to walk down the aisle in tears or with puffy eyes."

"I'll try, honey. I just wanted to come in and tell you how proud I am of you. It wasn't too long ago that something like that would have been difficult for me to say. But I love you, honey, and it makes me so happy to see you in love, and happy. We don't' talk about him very often, but Claire, your father would be very proud of you, too."

Claire felt the tears beginning to well up in her eyes. "I wish Gran could have been here, too."

"We may not be able to see them, sweetie, but they're here with us," Jeannine pulled a hankie out of her purse and dabbed Claire's eyes. "Look...I'm making you cry."

Mac opened the door. "It's almost time, Claire. Hon, you should go in and get seated."

"I love you, Claire."

"I love you, too, Mom."

"So, you ready, kiddo?" asked Mac when Jeannine was gone.

"Oh, yes, Mac. I can't wait to be Jack's wife."

"After what I heard last night, I'd say you can't wait for the wedding night."

"Mac! You're incorrigible! If my mother only knew how you really are!"

Emily came into the room.

"Em, you look great!" said Claire when Emily came in her periwinkle satin bridesmaid's gown.

The two friends hugged.

"Not as good as you do. C'mon, Claire, it's time. Jack's waiting."

"I'm ready," said Claire.

The three of them left the room and headed down the hall. They waited for a few moments until Violet gave Emily the signal to start down the aisle.

"How're you holding up?" asked Mac.

"I'm fine, Mac. I'm not nervous. I'm so happy I could burst."

"Don't do that, it'd ruin your dress," he said. "Listen, Claire. I'm happy for you. You've made your mother and I very proud. Now you just make sure Jack treats you right."

"He does, Mac. And he will."

The wedding march began to play.

"There's your song," said Mac. "Take a deep breath, and let's go."

The chapel door opened again, and all of their guests stood. They may as well not have been there, for when that door opened, the only person Claire could see was Jack, standing at the other end of the aisle, waiting for her. The sight of Jack in a tux was always a stunning one. She almost wanted to run down the aisle so that she could get to Jack, and they could become husband and wife, and start their new life together.

Jack's vision tunneled as well, when that door opened, and it was Claire standing at the other end of that tunnel. "My wife," he said to himself, "My life."

Claire was a vision incomparable in her dress. It was sleeveless, white, with a v-neck collar that dipped to reveal the barest hint of cleavage. The shoulder straps were fitted under her arms, enhancing the look of her long, slender arms, and the bodice was encrusted with pearls. The bodice came to an inverted v beneath her chest, and a long, fitted mermaid skirt fell to the floor, accenting the curves of Claire's body. In the back, a train started out of the dress at knee-level, and extended for three feet behind Claire.

"She looks like an angel," he thought. "My angel."

"Let's go," whispered Claire to Mac. "I'm ready."

They started down the aisle. Claire was on her way to her new life. A life that included Jack, come what may. A life of love and happiness that even the darkest clouds couldn't spoil.

No comments:

Post a Comment